A term paper is an academic paper which scholars or students prepare to submit at the end of the academic session or term. A term paper is based on a topic or subject. And the paper reflects the research work, or elaboration, or establishment of points or theory, or some debate on the subject by the student. A term paper essentially does not have to be about research work. It can be explanation on a topic, or just extensive study on a subject elaborated into numerous pages. Normally term papers are lengthy. Long detailed discussion on a subject which occupies several pages, and may contains pictorial illustrations too are common in term papers. Academic writing is a more serious version.
It’s clear elaboration of a subject with concise to the point format, formal tone, uncomplicated line of thought and flow, structured writing, and establishment of facts, points, theories, or elaborations based on evidence. In academic writing, you can establish a point on the basis of theories, evidences etc., but you cannot comment with your personal bias where you have no facts to prove what you are saying. You can only draw a theory, hypothesis or conclusion when you have valid supporting points.
How to write a term paper
Writing a term paper needs some basic skills, understanding of the approach on term papers, and the seriousness to study dedicatedly on the subject to bring forward noticeable points and establishments or things on the paper. Making an impression with a term paper is important to fetch good grades. Otherwise many average term papers are written by students to make through the term somehow. But, if you want to make a difference, you will have to be very particular that you spend a few hours into extensive reading and research, and then you write things in the much needed unbiased formal tone while supporting every point you write with valid facts and references. References are the life of term papers and academic essays, and these must be mentioned in detail following the formal format for universal understanding.
How to write a term paper step by step
There are some easy steps, almost like an algorithm which is to be followed to write any term paper on earth. The same method must be followed everywhere, so that you can write a nice term paper on any topic. Very precisely the general steps are as follows:
- First you have to finalize a topic. This is a crucial step. Based on this the entire flow and hard work is determined.
- Research is the next step the topic must be extensively researched so much so that you get the materials to write the full length contents of a term paper of the term paper with facts and not just word filling.
- You must sketch an outline for your term paper. This means you will have to prepare a structure for the term paper, so that you can then add points and paragraphs to that structure and give it a shape.
- Write the proposal for the term paper. This mentally prepares you too for the points you will be discussing through the paper.
- You will now write the term paper.
- Designing the cover page is the next step
- Finally you will have to proofread the paper and edit accordingly.
When you have to write the paper in a hurry
You may want to write a term paper in one night too. This happens often that you study for your other assessments and projects, and are left with no time for the term paper. And suddenly when you realize you have to complete it, you are probably left with just one night to work on it. The quick tips on writing a term paper in one night are:
- First you need to relax your mind. This helps in mind focus and helps concentrate for writing in flow.
- You will have to start writing this paper. This requires attention and lots of focus.
- Work on the introduction of the term paper. The introduction needs to be very catchy and very interesting so that the paper creates an impression on the mind right from the beginning.
- Find the most supporting facts and based on that establish the best points on the thesis. This needs a lot of brainstorming and every argument must be well supported by good evidences.
- You should try to provide more points in the thesis than needed. That’s because some points may not be taken by the professor and may get rejected. Then in that case the extra points must be there to help you get over the lack of the rejected points.
- Find out how your thesis can get criticized and on which points, and how you can defend the criticism.
- Just summarize your thesis paper.
- Finally do a proofreading, and set the paper.
The following points will help you sketch the outline of a term paper:
- The thesis statement can be written at the beginning.
- Next you must write all those labels which comes before the major points. Use the Roman numerals for numbering them
- You should then make a list of all the arguments for the points.
- You may divide the ideas into sub-points for further clarification
Term paper templates and samples
Now that you know how to write term paper outline, and the step by step method, you can start looking for term paper templates online. Students often download such templates and discuss them for guidance. You can also download templates to get an overview of how term papers are written. You can get more ideas on term paper types, writing styles etc. from templates.
You may also try and download term paper samples free. You cannot use the samples to submit yours. You can use them for ideas, and writing style and format. Samples give you exact idea of format, writing style, paragraph length, bulleted point writing, reference writing etc. The samples can help you get more ideas, and generate your unique writing style too. You will have to study them by downloading a few from some resources.